Clear aligners and traditional brace are both tools, that apply a force to move teeth. With the huge advancement in clear aligner therapy over the last 20 years, almost all movements can now be achieved with Invisalign. There are also several benefits to Invisalign over traditional braces.
- Discreet appearance: Invisalign aligners are virtually invisible, so people may not even notice that you are wearing them. This can be a big advantage for people who are self-conscious about the appearance of traditional metal braces.
- Comfort: Invisalign aligners are made of a smooth, flexible plastic that are custom 3D printed to fit your teeth. This means that they are generally more comfortable to wear than traditional braces, which can sometimes cause discomfort or irritation. There is also less pain with Invisalign as they use lighter forces than braces.
- Removable: Invisalign aligners are removable, which means that you can take them out to eat, brush, and floss. This can make it easier to maintain good oral hygiene during treatment, which can be more difficult with traditional braces.
- No food restrictions: Because Invisalign aligners are removable, there are no restrictions on what you can eat during treatment. With traditional braces, certain foods, such as sticky or hard foods, can be off-limits to avoid damaging the brackets or wires.
- Predictable results: Invisalign uses advanced technology to create a customized treatment plan and to predict the movement of your teeth. This means that you can have a good idea of what the end result will be before you even start treatment.
- Fewer office visits: In general, Invisalign requires fewer office visits than traditional braces. This can be a big advantage for people with busy schedules who don’t want to take too much time off work or school for orthodontic appointments. Additionally, here at White Space Dental we use AI, via an app (Dental Monitoring) to track your teeth, which means even fewer appointments, but closer and more customized care.
The main disadvantage to clear aligners is it is a fully compliance-based system. You have to be motivated and ready to start treatment for it to be successful.